Open Space and political parties

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Apr 21 10:07:43 PDT 2010

A plan I have had for recent local political elections...

Here in Canada during election season we usually have "All-Candidates" meetings whereby local candidates for office stand in front of a roomful of people, outline their ideas, tear each other apart and try to emerge the victor.  The meetings are rarely participatory and serve to reinforce petty meanness and closed minded debate.

So the design we are using for meetings on Bowen Island is the "All-Citizen Meeting" whereby we host an Open Space session around the question of, if elected, what would YOU want to make happen on Bowen Island?  Of course everybody is welcome to come and post topics and meet with others across the political spectrum to figure out how they would get their pet issues on the table and implemented.

And of course political candidates are welcome to come to and see what their people are saying.

We did this once in 2002 and it was a disorienting experience at first for the politicians but they quickly forgot themselves and joined in the fun and got a good sense of what thoughtful citizens working together could produce.

I have worked with many, many elected politicians in Canada, from all levels of government.  They all have liked Open Space, so you should have no trouble using it within the political party structures for policy development.

The only place I know for sure that has used Open Space actively within the political party structure is the Green Party in Estonia.  You should contact Mikk Sarv or Toomas Trapido in Estonia.  Mikk was a long time participant on this list (and may still be), and Toomas is a current sitting MP and is working to improve and reform the Estonian Green Party using Open Space.  I spent some time with both of them in December.  Lovely men, deeply committed to their work and skillful in the use of Open Space for this kind of change.

Chris

----
Chris Corrigan
chris at chriscorrigan.com