First Time!

Jenifer Toksvig never at acompletelossforwords.com
Mon Apr 19 15:18:52 PDT 2010

Thanks for the lovely replies :-)

Phelim said: ³How exciting to hear you are doing an OS.²

I am excited! And it¹s your doing. If it hadn¹t been for D&D, I would never
have known about it. Big thanks for that.

³Remember it's actually nothing to do with you they will just get on with
it.²

I¹m so glad you said that. I had that in mind all this time, but it¹s
getting closer and closer, and I just had a moment of wondering if I was
maybe wrong about that. So it¹s very good to have it confirmed that it¹s not
about me!

Actually, that¹s one of the things I love most of all about OS. The very
fact that it¹s not about me allows me to participate fully. That¹s such an
odd dichotomy, but it¹s true.

Lesley said some brilliantly helpful things, including: ³Stick with the
processŠ Don¹t get involved or get in the wayŠ walk slower than you thinkŠ²

All your comments were very helpful, thank you. I love Œwalk slower than you
think¹ - it¹s nerves getting in the way, isn¹t it? Such a good observation
to make, that one.

Chris pointed me at: ³Šmy own interpretation of the Tao te Ching² - which
looks brilliant, and to which I will link my fellow OS¹er. Thank you so much
for sharing. I love the way you¹ve laid it out, too. It¹s got nice
bite-sized pieces in it :-)

Harrison advised: ³Take a deep breath and have fun. And if you stop
breathing and/or don¹t have fun ­ Quit! All the rest is details.²

Very good advice. Also learned from you and OS: See things the way they are,
and let them be that way. This stuff seeps into everything in life, doesn¹t
it? Brilliant.

Harold said: ³it's a lot like being an explorer on new territory with no
mapŠ no one really knows what needs to happen or what's going to happen.
You're trustingŠ²

Yes. I¹m trusting. That¹s it, really, isn¹t it? Thank you. From all of you,
I will keep these things in my pocket:

Deep breath.
Walk slower. (Also: think slower.)
It¹s not about me.
Trust.
Explore.
Have fun.

Harold, you asked: ³Š will you say more about the new territory you're
charting? What's the topic, how many folks are coming, and what's most
exciting to you about this space you're going to be opening?²

Of course! It¹s a gathering of people who have a passion for how musical
theatre is taught in further and higher education, in the UK and worldwide.
We¹ve invited all the major institutions, and many individual educators, but
also a variety of theatre companies, producers, writers, all kinds of
creative practitioners to come and add their passions to the mix.

Our guiding question is ³How are we shaping the future of musical theatre?².
We¹re hoping about 100 people will come along, but we¹re prepared for less.
It¹s the first time we¹ve tried this conference, but I very much hope we can
turn it into an annual shake-up of passions.

Having some experience of teaching in institutions, which I do love doing, I
am aware that the very institution-ness of it all can be somewhat
passion-inhibiting, but I also know that my fellow practitioners have
amazingly creative and collaborative ideas. I just want to give them a space
to bounce those ideas around in an open space Great Musical Theatre Hadron
Collider, and maybe we¹ll get a few big bangs!

Phelim, you once said to me that it¹s weird not knowing exactly how many
things are inspired into existence by the open space D&D sessions.
Truthfully, this was directly inspired by that. I like to think of it as a
big bang before we¹ve even started :-)

Love,

Jen x