fixing oslist

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed Apr 14 10:17:39 PDT 2010

hi all,

i've just gotten word from our hosts at boise state.  now is a good time, if
you're having trouble posting to the list, i.e. your messages hits the
archives but not everyone's inbox, to test this to make sure it's still
happening -- and to document it for those who might be able to fix it.

there are several -- lisa, michael jr., christine and christine, and myself,
who i know have had troubles.  this message might not even make it out.  but
if it does, and you are one of these folks, i've jiggled your settings a bit
to see if that helps.  try to post again.  invite replies.  if you don't get
any, then forward the details (see message from bsu, below) and send to me
to forward on to bsu.

also, if you try to post from the website, DO NOT check the box to receive a
copy of your own post.  that seems to be a problem (see below from bsu.)

in the meantime, if you can't mail directly to the list, try the website.  i
know it's not the ideal situation, but what i've done is set myself on
digest, so i get an unreadable mash of daily postings, but it has a simple
list of message subjects at the top.  that is readable, and it's my cue that
some things have been posted, prompting me to go to the site to read the
ones i'm interested in.  it's a decent work around, for the moment.

thanks, m

here is what i got today from boise state...

*I'm very puzzled by this behavior as well.  I have had reports of this
off and on for the last 6 to 9 months.  I had one user go around and
around with lsoft and basically lsoft blamed gmail.  There's another
guy who has earthlink as his provider and he's had all kinds of
problems.  His posts wind up in the spam folder quite frequently.
I've also seen a thread on the list maintainers listserv that suggests
that listserv is sending messages with duplicate message ids which
causes mailers to cull perfectly legitimate mail.  This seems to
happen when people use the web gui and click the box to ask to a
receipt.  I just documented another case of this today.  I have also
noticed that the sheer volume that hits the listserv machine has
reached ridiculous proportions.  The spammers seem to start work
Friday afternoon and continue on through the weekend.  So it's a
bloody mess.

I will forward your query to lsoft support.  You're certainly welcome
to copy complaints on to me.  I do need a date and time the message
was sent and a description of what happened. I also need an email
address.  I've been very busy since my job has changed here, so I have
done triage on the listserv.  I seem to have come up for air right
now, so this is an opportune time for me to work on these issues.

I'll forward your query on to lsoft support as well.  Always good to
hear from you.  Sorry your list isn't behaving.  I'll get back to you
with lsoft's suggestions if there are any.*