2 martinis

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:59:27 PDT 2009

In my PhD dissertation about OST, I used this quote (from an article by the chair of my dissertation committee) and I make the claim that the two martinis were an ideal example of what are called here "corrective processes" - ways to reach beyond the rational for innovative resources for living.

"The literature abounds with examples of scientific breakthroughs which occurred with the help of corrective processes: Kekule's dream of the benzene ring, Howe's invention of the sewing machine needle with the help of a dream, Einstein's discovery of the basic principle of the special theory of relativity in a non-ordinary state of consciousness, and so on. Here we have outstanding examples of how the corrective processes–something clearly beyond the arc of (ordinary) consciousness–reorganized or corrected or amplified mental materials highly successfully . .  . World cultures have often retained other ways of access to corrective processes . . . rituals, vision seeking, and the like–approaches which have clearly fallen prey to the verdict "irrational" in so-called civilized societies." (Kremer, 1986)

Jeff Aitken PhD
mount tamalpais