Open space with youth 9 - 16?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Sep 17 10:45:36 PDT 2009

Well I bow to you, Ms. Christine, for inviting facilitating a team of
amazing facilitator- and non-facilitator-folks to weave story and
dialogue throughout that conference.

Other OS work with young people I have done include the US Scholar-
Athlete Games, with 850 young people ages 13-19 held 225 sessions on
everything from gun violence in the homes and child slavery to how
media impacts self image and self-esteem, the passion of chess,
teaching each other the Harlem Shuffle, interviewing an adult
conscientious objector to war, rich intense discussions about race and
identity, and researching how many licks it takes to get to the center
of a Tootsie Roll pop (a candy on a stick).

And several OSes with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender young
people and their allies exploring everything from race and power
dynamics, rape and coersion, high tech gaming, how marginalized
cultures still seem to find other cultures to be mean to, and the
creation of gay cheers (jumping and saying things in rhythm and
celebration).

And a statewide OS conference on serving and supporting young people
from ages 0 to 5 where young people in the conference set the tone and
the challenge to the adults and convened vibrant sessions.

And an OS section of a retreat on healing and learning about racism
for urban young people of promise who came out of tough situations and
are growing through learning about leadership and work skills.

I love love love working with young people - thoughtful, celebratory,
honest, fierce and real...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net
www.openingspace.net

Join me for the Open Space Learning Workshop
December 9-11, San Francisco