SV: [OSLIST] WOSONOS 2009 and Then.......

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 22:05:41 PDT 2009

I think there has another thing that has changed in the Open Space world,
and that has been the fact that Open Space has really tipped into some sort
of mainstream.  It is a process increasingly familiar in many places I
travel to, and it seems to have been introduced and used in ways that have
good integrity and were done well.  I run into people all the time who are
longtime Open Space practitioners that have no idea of this community that
gathers around the OSLIST and openspaceworld.org and yet there they are out
there doing their work and doing it well.
10 and more years ago, a small group of organizational development
consultants leaned heavily on each other to get through the hard work of
introducing and pioneering Open Space in all kinds of places.  As Michael
notes, the gatherings back then were a respite from a world that didn't know
about OST. These days, OSonOS gatherings are a community of practice coming
together but it's not the whole world of Open Space, not by any stretch.  So
the flavour is different.  For me, I like to go if I can because I get to
meet old friends and see new ones and maybe share some war stories, but it's
not like a group of pioneers anymore...it feels like old veterans raising a
glass in the Legion Hall.

This is good news...Open Space Technology has really gone to scale.  There
is no way you could account for the daily use of the process.  It is showing
up everywhere all the time.

So what is the WOSonOS gathering now?  What is the role of the OSLIST
community in the context of a world that uses Open Space without knowing
about us?

Onward and best wishes for a great time in Taiwan and Berlin and wherever
the gathering ends up next!

Cheers,

Chris

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Michael Herman
<michael at michaelherman.com>wrote:

> i'm sure i missed the announcement on the paris gathering, christine... but
> if you will send me a blurb with a link, i'd be glad to post it in teh
> openspaceworld.org blog, alongside the taiwan invite.
>
> some of these other posts have me thinking some more about worldwide open
> space on open space...
>
> it seems like there are three sorts of "world" (the big "one") osonos
> event.  the first kind were (are?) focused on or primarily addressing the
> global community of practitioners.  later, osonos went some places because
> there was a strong community formed in some locality.  the third kind is
> when osonos gets saddled with the added purpose of growing a local community
> or (as happened at least once) got packaged up with a training.
>
> harrison's first four osonos's were of the first sort.  the community was
> small and scattered.  lots of us were lone voices in our local
> wildernesses.  some of us were small groups.  when harrison invited, we got
> together in this weird way and enjoyed having it feel so normal.  at the
> first four, and i would say chicago (#7), vancouver (#9), and maybe some
> others i didn't attend, the only or at least very primary focus was on so
> many scattered friends getting together.  in each of these, there were some
> folks who came from nearby, but not very strong local practice communities.
> harrison and i had done several training programs in chicago by the time
> osonos came here, but most of the folks at those programs had travelled a
> long way to get that training.  i wasn't really trying (or becoming) the
> leader of a local group.
>
> at #5 in toronto, #8 in berlin, #10 in melbourne and a bunch of others
> since, i think we travelled to these places because there was such a strong
> community there already.  these are the ones where people started to do more
> planning work.  when the extra planning bubbled up because of local
> community excitement, that's great.  if the extra work comes out of some
> sense of obligation because folks are travelling so far to get there, or to
> make good on an invitation presentation made two years earlier, that seems
> less fun.  worst case, the extra work happens because the host feels
> responsible for the travellers having a good experience, or the sort of
> experience that the host thinks they should have.  that's the hardest sort
> of work and seems not very open space.
>
> the third kind, osonos gatherings that are supposed to form or strengthen
> or otherwise grow a local community would seem to be particularly prone to
> this sort of obligation or trying or trying to use it as a training tool or
> whatever.  these sorts of events -- and i've not been to any of these
> personally so can't say for sure if any have actually happened this way --
> the balance or focus would be off... no longer just the gathering of so many
> globally scattered friends, but a gathering that's supposed to "do"
> something for the locals.

> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com