Passion and Responsibility based Governance Model: Dynamic Self-Governance (Sociocracy) Workshop

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Sun Sep 6 20:39:19 PDT 2009

I'd be happy to explain more about Dynamic Governance/Sociocracy.

I've read part of the book, (We the People, co-authored by John Buck and
Sharon Villines) and 2 articles, experienced an hour talk at a local
bookstore,
and had a few conversations with John Buck, who'll be giving the
workshop in
September. John's passion for Sociocracy brought him to the
Netherlands and
lead him to learn Dutch so that he could learn about Sociocracy where
it was
born in it's modern form.

So I'll tell you what I do know and invite others who have knowledge
of the
process/practice to add their knowledge too. Ultimately, the more I
understand
it, the more it draws me in.

It's been described as Democracy 2.0 and from what I've gathered so
far the
difference between the democracy practiced in much of the western
world and the
Sociocratic model is that Democracy is rule by majority and Sociocracy
is rule by
society.

The idea of a sociocracy, a self-governing society, dates from the
early nineteenth
century when the French philosopher Auguste Comte (1798–1857)
advocated a
society based on a balance of scientific method and humanism. But it's
Gerard
Endenburg of the Netherlands who is the modern day founder of
Sociocracy. He
began his experiments with it 40 years ago within his company Endenberg
Elektrotechniek because he wanted to test it's limits within
capitalism. And they
work brilliantly together. And now it's being used in many countries
around the world
in businesses, non-profits, schools, intentional communities, etc.
It's fascinating!

Sociocracy is another tool that holds space and allows organizations
and communities
to be run using servant leadership as it's model.

One way to describe it being a model to practice servant leadership in
an organization/community, comes out of the game "Rock, Paper,
Scissors." When you play
that game each of the three possibilities can end up as both leader or
follower. Paper
covers rock, rock breaks scissors, and scissors cuts paper. It's a
Circular Hierarchy.
That's what servant leadership is, the practice of circular hierarchy.
It's the dance of
leader and follower. Dynamic Governance uses that same principle.

In any sociocratic organization there are a series of Decision Circles
interlocking
with the Circles above and below through Double-Link representation.

Circles are organized around specific interests or defined purpose or
aim. You are a
continuous member of the circle that connects to your passion/purpose.
This could be
the marketing department, the management team, the community members
interested
in park beautification, etc.

Circle meetings are run through a process where each topic (proposed
at the last
meeting or proposed prior to the meeting) is presented by the sponsor
or group facilitator. There is a comment round where each person is
asked to give their opinion/thoughts
about the proposal and the opportunity to voice a paramount objection
to the proposal.
In essence a paramount objection is based on a reasoned statement
about how the
proposal goes against the defined purpose/aim of the group circle or
would prohibit
the group from carrying out their purpose. If no paramount objection
is raised, if necessary
the proposal is modified, then reviewed again, and adopted.

John Buck describes the system like driving a car to the grocery
store. You're free to drive
the car to the grocery anytime you wish unless the car has a paramount
objection. The paramount objection from the car would arise when the
car needed oil or gas to run
properly. Without the provision for oil and gas for the car being
built into the system, the purpose cannot be met. The measures are
like the instruments on the car telling you
whether you have the input needed to achieve your purpose. Again, a
paramount
objection is raised if the Circle's purpose is inhibited by the
proposal.

So like OS, each topic is proposed by someone in the circle not given
as a top-down
order (unlike OS, the Marketplace/agenda is created before the
meeting). Like OS each
topic has space for everyone to comment, but does not need the group
to agree, only
to not object. It's a consent model, not consensus. So, like OS action
rounds, if someone
has passion for an initiative they propose it and those interested in
joining/aiding the
proposal contribute, and those who don't have interest, simply do not
need to be involved,
but consent (their dis-interest does not need to bring down the energy
of those passionate about a proposal).

Each proposal, once implemented is measured for it's results, using
either profit, or other
measures such as persons served in the case of a non-profit. The
continual Leading (forwarding a proposal), Doing (implementing),
Measuring model.

In each Circle there is one member of the Circle who also belongs to
the Circle above.
In the Circle above there are two members who sat in the Circle below,
one from the
Circle in conversation and one from the Circle below who represents
their own Circle's
interest and ideas in the Circle above. ~ if this sounds confusing see
this diagram from
the NVC (non-Violent Communication) website:

http://www.cnvc.org/en/node/4714

NVC has adopted Sociocracy as their governing model.

One fascinating aspect of Sociocracy is that one could propose to run
the circle wholly
as a rotating autocracy, or majority rule, or in Open Space. And as
long as there were
no paramount objections, the proposal would take affect. What an open
way to govern
- with anything possible.

What does everyone think?

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Know Place Like Home • Engaging the Soul at Work • State of Grace Document
www.knowplacelikehome.com
www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
www.stateofgracedocument.com
zelle at knowplacelikehome.com