Martinis and spirit

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Wed Sep 30 06:00:30 PDT 2009

I don't believe I have ever had a martini.  Open space makes me quite
drunk enough, thank you...

About the 4:1 ratio, my father used to say the way to make a perfect
martini was to pour the gin, then open the vermouth bottle in the
general vicinity of the glass and then close it quickly.  Or better
yet, just whisper the word "vermouth" while you're in the same room.

As to why two: I think we certainly do not need them, but one might
like them.

Thanks, someone, for the Hafiz poem.  With arrogance and audacity, I
have taken the liberty of, er, re-translating it, as follows:

Circles

The moon is most happy
When full.
And the sun
a perfectly minted gold coin

Polished and placed in flight
By God's playful kiss.

So many varieties of fruit
Hang plump and round
 From branches like Sculptors' hands.

I see the curve of pregnance
Shaped by a soul within,

Earth, planets, spheres-
I have gotten the hint:

There is something about circles
The Beloved likes.

____

Footnote from me: I once met a geologist who said, if you leave
anything alone long enough, the universe makes it round.

Ralph Copleman