Hello From Bill Warner & More About the MassTLC Innovation 2009 unConference

Bill Warner bill at warnerresearch.com
Sat Oct 3 07:38:04 PDT 2009

Hello Lisa, (and All)

Actually, we did exactly what you suggest below: (in other words, we
had a full-on open space unconference led by Kaliya)

> If you work your behind off to invite fabulous and interesting
> people (entrepreneurs, 'experts', diverse other kinds of thinkers) -
> you seed the pool for great conversations, sharing, learning and
> exploring to happen. Rather than put people together for a great one-
> on-one date, I would invite you to spend your energy on continuing
> to invite for diversity, trust the people, and the process - and let
> everyone post topics, questions, ideas they are passionate about.
> You might even invite folks to feel free to post in the form of a
> question if they wish to invite great thinking on some puzzle they
> are working on.

This video from the 2008 event gives you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJB73yOqVAw&feature=player_embedded
, as well as photos and background from the 2009 event.

The open-space event worked fabulously well. Everyone posted, everyone
participated. Kaliya did a great job, just like last year.

In addition to that, a big part of attracting the right people was
related to the "mini-unconference" that was offered to entrepreneurs
and fueled by our roster of volunteer experts.

You're also right on the idea of "experts". This year we emphasized
that everyone is an expert, but some have volunteered to give two
hours of day directly to entrepreneurs in very small sessions. (Hence
the "mini-unconference). Below is a photo of an entrepreneur choosing
a one-on-one (they are 30 minutes). Each one of our "volunteer
experts" had a card they posted on this mini agenda wall. (Where the
agenda was simply one-on-ones). A second part of that wall was for
meetings at a table for five. The idea was to get entrepreneurs and
volunteer experts to get to know each other in an intimate setting.
Even more intimate than what the large open space event typically
delivers. And this worked so well! But, creating this was the most
work. We did let it self organize once the structure was in
place....in other words entrepreneurs and volunteer experts found each
other. That worked amazingly well also.

Everything worked beautifully, and everyone loved the event. The one
on ones were a crucial part of the day. There were over 140 of these
little meetings, and they meant a lot to both parties. They also
established a personal connection that fueled the larger open space
event. In addition, there were about 30 meetings at tables for 5.
Those were also foundational, in that everyone really got to know each
other.

By the way. Our volunteer experts took their commitment very
seriously. They knew that an entrepreneur (didn't know who) was coming
to the event expecting to get some time with them. This meant we had
almost no no-shows.

Every year we tweak the design of the conference. Here's my question:
Can we create this one on one and small table meeting energy without
as much up-front work? Harrison chided me about all the upfront work,
and I accept the chide. On the other hand, it all worked so well and
followed (I think) open space principles on the day-of. And remember,
this was all designed with Kaliya's coaching at every step, so we've
had expert advice from the beginning. But still... can we do this and
more with less work next year?

My blog has more information, tons of pictures, and video showing the
flying car folding its wings and an interview with the inventor.  http://billwarner.posterous.com/

-- Bill