university strategic planning

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 17:43:23 PDT 2009

Hi David...used OST a long time ago when a Department of Health Services was
considering it's future within the University of British Columbia.  The
resulting document was just a typical book of proceedings, which was rolled
into the ongoing strategic planning work of which I was not a part.  I did
however write a short story, the salient paragraph of which follows:
The UBC OS was with a small group of 26 (24 of whom were women) to envision
the future structure of an organization or a college which will unite a
variety of faculties. The OS was convened to further work that had been
captured in a strategic plan, and the half day went well. We had three hour
long time periods and 12 discussions. There was a fair amoount of attrition
with the result that during the last time period, the remaining group (16 or
so) decided to meet in one circle to discuss the remaing three topics. What
was remarkable was watching how the group moved through their work and then
began their own closing. I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out
when the "session" had finished and the "closing" began. Fortunately I
didn't have to do anything other than join the circle when the sponsor
declared the closing opened (if you follow me.) Then I just sat in the one
available chair in the circle and remarked about how deep their conversation
seemed to be and how uncomfortable I was having to move it from one thing to
another. We then did a quick closing and broke up.

Not a data filled story of the critical path towards how we accomplished a
full on strategic planning for a university, but a little more than a simple
"yes" to your question.

The long term result, by the way, was judged very positive by both the Dean
and the Department head when I ran into them a few years later. A college
was indeed formed and Dr. John Gilbert, my sponsor on the day, now heads
it: John.Gilbert at ubc.ca

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com