Creating an OS Room...

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Fri Nov 20 01:32:43 PST 2009

What a cool idea - a room dedicated to full time open space. A formal
open space always has an opening and a closing. There's something to
that. And at the same time - there's something great about a long term
dedicated space.

I'm not sure yet if this will help, but there has been a lot of thinking
in the information technology realm about a "team room" that can be used
to show progress on projects and be useful to the team for various team
activities. Mostly it's about self-organizing - giving the team a space
that they can customize for their own purposes. Here's one article I
found that has some possibly useful ideas.

http://www.infoq.com/articles/agile-team-room-wishlist

One key piece that I've stumbled against is the ability to customize the
space. We currently have meeting rooms, but there are tables fastened
down that we are very unlikely to get permission to move and this has
made collaboration difficult - so once we met in a break room which had
moveable tables and we taped things to the big windows in the room.
You'll definitely want to have some tables, but folding ones are best.
What would also be great would be to use the "inspect and adapt"
principle. Start with an experiment for this room, and then periodically
ask how did it go and how can it be made better.

    Harold