Come join us at Open Space Technology World Community Ning site!!

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Thu Nov 19 00:29:05 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Kaliya * <identitywoman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah - MEATBALL WIKI IS NOT A MAINSTREAM WIKI.

I must say I'm a bit baffled by this whole exchange. I often find much value
in your posts, but as a moderate techie you must realize that ALL CAPS IS
CONSIDERED YELLING and is a sure sign of trolling and flamebating. I'm a
more extreme techie (currently working as a software engineer at Google),
I've built and installed a bunch of software, and I host a few small
websites (including www.wosonos2008.org), and I just have to point out that
it's no trivial feat to keep a site up and running for a decade, community
involvement or no.

UseMod, the wiki software used by both MeatBallWiki and
OpenSpaceWorld.NET<http://www.openspaceworld.net>,
is open source, very simple, and super easy to install and maintain. It's
one of my favorite wiki systems for those reasons. It was created 10 years
ago and hence its syntax and style are reminiscent of the original wiki. I
had no trouble logging in and making some edits this evening (just to add my
name page). I went and looked at the website for that Planet Planet feed
aggregator you mentioned, to see how easy it is to install, and there's no
obvious documentation -- at first I could only see some links to sync from
their code repository, until on third or fourth reading I noticed links to
some tarballs. And this is what you want Michael to install when you don't
even know how yourself?

Having gone through the pain of installing software too many times, these
days my first choice is definitely to go with a fully-hosted and
ad-supported system. It's definitely important to be able to backup the
data, though, so any guidance you can offer about who supports what is
extremely valuable. Also, the web search rankings are indeed quite
changeable -- in fact, redesigning a successful site to make it more
"beautiful" can easily knock it off the top if you're not careful. I've seen
it happen, and it's no fun.

Please keep pushing for improvement and openness... And keep breathing, too.

With gentle respect,
Justin