Come join us at Open Space Technology World Community Ning site!!

Kaliya * identitywoman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 19:19:47 PST 2009

While appreciate the invitation to this space.

I really object to bringing the community to private service.  The company
NING is just like facebook or myspace it is managed and controlled
ultimately by a corporation.

It is closed source (the code that is used underlying the site is owned and
not viewable by us).

  The data of our use and the people on it - it is not clear about where it
goes.

The community life all the information is "stuck" in the system - it is not
using open standards - so that at some point we wanted to leave NING we
could.

Ning does not have open standards avaliable for the activities on the site
and HAS NOT BEEN INVOLVED IN ANY of the conversations around developing or
adopting those under development for social activities on the web.

There is NO Reason to do this.

I think it would be much more responsible to get a  REAL COMMUNITY LIFE
AROUND

1) A WIKI that is build on an open source "mainstream" wiki.
2) A BLOG with community members contributing to and with different members
free to start their own blogs
3) A robust commenting system
4) A twitter strategy for lists and community connections in that medium.

ALL of the above can be built on open source tools
On servers that we manage and control. ( Or in the cloud but on our terms
and we can move to a new service if we don't like. )

No corporate entity can choose to turn it off.  We "own" it.

All of the above can implement a common way to let members of the community
login across all of them with one login/password using OpenID.

NING HAS NOT PLANS to Implement OpenID - (or any of the other standards)
http://developer.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1185512%3ATopic%3A11361

I have been talking about this for well over a year but apparently there is
no movement by the Open Space institute by the actually developing the
community tools in community.

*Kaliya * <identitywoman at gmail.com> *
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at listserv.boisestate.edu>
  * Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM *
  Lisa just pinged me about this e-mail on the list and asked I respond.
I don't have time until next week to surface and comment fully. I on the 4th
day of 12 days in a row of "traditional" conferences that I attending as a
participant speaker.

At the core of a comment I made in response to a request for a donation to
the OSI USA.
I would like to see the core community site have:
* a mainstream wiki that has broad access rights.  (this is an editable
website) yes there is currently a wiki - and no it is not a current
mainstream wiki platform (there for has a non-normal syntax) and it has
restricted access rights.
* an aggregation of blogs and another one for microblogging for
practitioners  that pulls in the feeds from all the things that
practitioners publish in these formats aggregated (via RSS) into one space
(example from my technical community is Planet Identity (
http://www.planetidentity.org)
* admin access rights and responsibility held by several people (not just
one person who if hit by a truck basically limits capacity of the whole
community to function).

-Kaliya

TECHNOLOGY strategy for this community should be done in an open transparent
way.

It should use "the best of" open source (this is very different then "free
tools" that are closed source and corporate owned with "them untimately in
control)  and focus on using open standards where possible.

It should be developed in a way that includes the wisdom of those of us with
tech backgrounds and done in a way that explains our decisions to smart
people who are "not techies" so they understand the decisions/strategies and
agree they are in alignment with the community values and vision.

*global proceedings aggregator?*
------------------------------
 * Michael Herman <michael at michaelherman.com> *  * Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:54
PM *
 To: OSLIST at listserv.boisestate.edu

  here's a new one, i think.  for the techies among us.

how would you capture proceedings if you were to have, say, dozens, or
even hundreds of events convened simultaneously and you wanted
everybody everywhere to be able to post their proceedings into one
central place.  everybody except spammers, of course.  videos can be
posted to youtube and tagged.  photos to flickr.  but what about the
text proceedings?  and there is also the issue of a directory of event
locations.  hoping this wouldn't require a dedicated
application/platform.  here are some ideas.

-listserve like yahoo or google group - non-public is a downside
-facebook group - non-public is downside here too
-wiki - might be too complex for rapid scale-up
-blog - might be coolest, but might require moderation
-twitter - might there be a way to collect only the issues raised
everywhere?  tagged by location, perhaps?  could happen more places
cuz could send from cellphones?
-blog - could make a post or page for every event reported and then
let them post comments.
-just get everyone to start their own simple, free blog and use a blog
aggregator... might miss a lot of sites.
-google docs?
-blog with a single "guest/contributor" username and password,
publicly posted, with user only allowed to post reports, tagging for
author and location within the post?

...this last option might be best, but then we get to the question of
what if it all really works and folks wanted to post some stream of
ongoing results and actions.  could happen.  so the system might want
to support that.

anything else you can think of out there in social networking space
that could support such a thing?

i think i like the twitter option, but have no idea if it can be made
to function in this way.  could all of this be aimed at a single
twitter name, or just tagged with a single twitter tag?  and somehow
captured in a way taht was searchable and scrollable long after the
first events occured?
then there's the scenario where somehow we get to hack up a new
version of the world map <grin>.
so that's as far as i can guess, and maybe even a little past that.
 thoughts?
many thanks,

I read now that someone wrote in this thread "that NING does all this"  I
should have brought forward these concerns then and perhaps get movement
going in an open direction. I am sorry i didn't track that thread.  When I
popped up and made the preceding comment I prefaced it saying I was in the
middle of conference season.

You are all in luck. I just "finished" my unconference season and have time
to actually give to the communities I love and care about.

I appreciate the care and attention that *Artur Silva (Portugal), Shufang
Tsai (Taiwan) and Lisa Heft (USA) have put forward to do this.

I get that it was a utilitarian choice and was not informed by deeper issues
and values choices that are being made by using closed source, proprietary
and non-open standards based tools.  It was only done in love with the best
intentions. I feel I have to speak up because I am technologically literate
particularly in this area about openness and standards - it is where my core
open space facilitation work is - with communities developing an open layer
of the web that is social and community driven.

I hope that I can work with others in the community who want to make the
most open choices possible and a collaborative on a future looking
online/tech strategy for the community.
*
Regards,
-Kaliya