Facilitation disasters - your stories please

Annamarie Pluhar annamarie at pluharconsulting.com
Sun Nov 15 16:12:34 PST 2009

Such an interesting conversation that you have started Robyn.

My own experience was (gulp!) 15 years ago. My life has taken twists
and turns away from group facilitation - the fact that I'm on the list
now has everything to do with a current contract/assignment.  Before
meeting the client - knowing what they were looking for  "empowering
the people" "new ideas" "enthusiasm" and "excitement" I thought that
sounds like OS.  Turns out those are just words.. they only want want
is safe and familiar and what they did last year.

15 years ago, I was facilitating a two-day annual retreat for a
smallish company.  Day two was to have been OS.  It was started OK,
but the owner of the company hijacked the process (I can't remember
the exact words) - he invited (he's the boss so invited...) everyone
to go on a hike with him on a trail. When I was invited to go, I said
"no" on the grounds that I wasn't sure everyone was there and some
might be looking for the group. I was told that they ended up having a
very good conversation on top of the mountain.

I think that the contracting process is the most important. what I'm
holding to is that the client has to choose OS rather than it being
recommended...

Annamarie Pluhar

Pluhar Consulting
Results through effective group process