Bullying and OST

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 10:00:06 PST 2009

Hello Rose,

Thanks for your courageous, open inquiry and for sharing your learning
with all of us.

A decade ago, I worked with a group of what we Arizonans call "middle
school" students on a year-long project that was focused on building
community capacity (a very abstract idea, even to most community
leaders :).   What I remember about the first meetings was the
tremendous developmental differences, especially between the awkward
12 year-old boys and the 14 year-old girls who loved to flaunt their
beauty and their social power.

The project was funded by the "get the kids to stop smoking" folks who
were willing to experiment with a project design that focused on
resilience rather than trying to stop bad behavior. Early on, the
school principal saw the wisdom of having a self-selected design/
planning team that was made up of students, teachers, parents,
administrators, community leaders, etc.

The principal had already recruited community leaders and had invited
everyone in the school to come to the first planning meeting.  She was
surprised and delighted at the number of students (around 30 as I
recall) who showed up to be a part of this team.  The students
outnumbered the adults three to one.  With such large numbers at the
first meeting, the only thing to do was open the space for self-
organized planning.  The students took the lead in many cases, perhaps
because the adults were deliberately  stepping back or perhaps because
it was clear that the students were the experts on middle school
culture and what would work best to encourage the largest number of
students to get actively involved in their project, which became an
Appreciative Inquiry into community resilience.

I loved watching a very shy 12 year-old boy team up with a dynamic 14
year-old girl to design the questions they would use for interviews
with community leaders.

Warm wishes from a brilliant Phoenix morning,

Christine
Christine Whitney Sanchez
Collaborative Wisdom & Strategy
480.759.0262