Bullying and OST

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:43:41 PST 2009

Hello Annamarie
My experience working with children in OS is that the group functions just
as it does with adults.  I've worked with kids as young as 8 and they were
fine with some minor tweaks for the book of proceedings.  In my experience
the issues that came up with Rose's group are not age related.  I have been
in adult groups where one or two provocateurs upset the groups they were in
in much the same way as occurred with the children.  Having said that I did
wonder about the impact of the principal setting the question as well.  One
of the things that came to my mind is that there are codes of conduct and
respect inside cultures that are very violent.  Respect and violence are not
mutually exclusive.

One of the things I've witnessed when there are provocateurs present is when
people start reacting to that behavior they often  go to the circle holder
and ask for them to address (read stop) the behavior.  They need to be
reminded to believe in the process and take themselves where they have
passion and commitment.  Groups whether they are filled with adults or
children can be very volatile  when they are in extreme reaction to some
belief or experience.
Pat Black