Bullying and OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Nov 4 18:19:14 PST 2009

Rose - Sounds like and interesting Go. For me OS is very much like the
Rorschach Test - What you see is what you got, and it sounds like the
teachers and Principal confirmed that. Not terribly far from a prison camp
which is where many schools are. God forbid that the inmates should become
too restless and then get out of control! So of course, the forces of reason
and right will have to intervene (which they did) - thereby substantiating
their prior convictions that these "students" were pretty much wild savages
requiring a strong hand.  Was there an alternative? Probably and it wouldn't
have been pretty, but in my experience it usually (always) works. Open more
Space and treat the students like responsible human beings. Expect the best
and you might get there. I have worked with fighting street gangs, and that
was always my approach. It did get a little exciting, but nobody ever died.
In fact, very useful things always took place. Simple fact of the matter is
that folks will live down to our expectations. That way they can avoid
responsibility for themselves and their actions. It is all OUR fault! Then
we can feel guilty and do more of what we have always done (control, heavy
hand, etc) and predictably get more of what we have always gotten which then
justifies more of the same - and so on ad infinitum. Or something.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html