A tale of the first time that will stick for a long time

rut jesus rut.jesus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:19:59 PST 2009

If there is a reason to look forward to a conference is knowing that there
will be Open Space. WikiSym is the annual academic/entrepeneur conference on
Wikis, and I, a phd student studying cooperation in Wikipedia, feel at home
there. Well, yes, because we discuss wikis and cooperations, but mostly
because I have felt the magic Open Space does, enabling everyone to approach
everyone else, bridging down extra-formalities and roles, having exciting
conversations more or less on topic, more or less long, at the pace
butterflying is appropriate for my needs, curiosity and ambition.

I went to WikiSym in 2007, for the first time. Although the cold conference
center was alienating, I saw community being built right in front of my
eyes. Everyone got to speak, there was a sense of being together, and
wanting to cooperate, and not compete. In 2008, amidst sunny and fresh-air
days, I was then sure Open Space was the key element in this conference,
which is wisely built so that all starts and ends in Open Space, and during
the day there are academic and workshop tracks alongside a running open
space. I spoke at some length with Ted and Ana, and started to speculate if
I could also facilitate Open Spaces. Upon returning home, reading "Open
Space Technology, a User's Guide", contacting some people and going to a
workshop in Sweden, I tried my own version at the Center for Philosophy of
Nature and Science Studies where I study.

So the story comes to the moment I arrived at WikiSym 2009, after a warm
reception at WikiHouse (a house that is rented where a number of attendees
can stay for a lower price and a higher level of comfort and enjoyment): we
greet the known faces, including the conference chair, Dirk, who immediately
tells us that Ted wasn't able to come last minute. What's going to be of
Open Space without Ted, Ted's energy and expertise? Ward has volunteered,
Ward has been through Open Space thousands of times. I say I'd like to help.
In best wiki, self-organized style, I am meeting Ward 5 minutes after and
agreeing to help and deliver, already for the open ceremony, the part with
the 4 principles, 1 law, and butterflies and bumblebees. What an
opportunity. I cherish every moment, the joy of helping, of drawing a
colorful bumblebee, of using my soft/deep voice, of looking people in the
eyes, making them aware of their moment.

During the next three days, I get to call Ted twice and get amazing advice,
do the evening news and enjoy people's reflections of the day. I  support
and help so that Open Space lasts for the entire conference (instead of a
shorter version thought for the time of crisis). I felt I was a part of the
conference, doing something that is profoundly meaningful for me: holding
space.

In the open space-conference closing, I apologized we had been doing without
Ted's bells, but that there was another tradition I didn't want to do away
with, the talking stick. It had to be something local, which turned out to
be a sweaty-florida banana-leaf,  which was found dead, but to which I
wanted all of us to give life again. So, I talked and showed, that a banana
leaf could be used for many things, to hide behind, to dance with, to use as
a bridging stick, to support a handstand, to make metaphors. As it went
around, I felt the double pleasure of the end of a great conference, and all
intensity that had happened, and also the excitement of having facilitated
live Open Space Technology in the best setting, and thereby having
contributed to a space of learning and sharing. Dirk thanked efusively, and
I thought:

Wow, I get to do what I love, and to be loved for what I do.

I expect to finish my PhD in a year, and then embark in free-lancing
art/science and facilitation, where I hope Open Space will play a major
role.