describing self organisation

Anglican Chaplain angchaplain at admin.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 19:15:36 PST 2009

Do you wrestle sometimes with how to 'describe' self organisation?

I work in the university and I was walking past one of the main lawn
areas where students eat their lunch - it's called the "Oak Lawn'. I was
suddenly struck by the way people were sitting - about 30 groups - none
with less than 3 people and none with more than 10. Average around 7
people - all sitting in circles. Presumably talking about things they
care about with people they want to talk with.

The same week a photograph of this scene appeared in the campus news
paper with a reflection by the Guild President (that's the Student
Union), who was reflecting on some of the features of the campus that he
liked the most. He identified his favourite spot as the Oak Lawn and
this is part of what he wrote:

"But for a student I don't think that there is anywhere more memorable
or important to us that the Oak Lawn. Situated in the centre of the
campus and bounded by the Law School, Social Science and Guild Village,
Oak Lawn is the heart and soul of campus [note the language in this very
'secular university']. There is nothing better than a lazy day lying
around with friends under the massive oaks, listening to music,
discussing all those important questions of life, or even just having a
little snooze".

Next time I need to describe self organisation to someone, I am just
going to pull out this photograph!

Michael Wood