social inequities in a self-organizing world

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri May 29 19:37:05 PDT 2009

Bui -- "I think what you're saying is that the market is not functioning
optimally because someone is trying to control certain parts of it for
their own benefit."

HO -- That is precisely what I am saying. And the net effect is that the
market is not really open -- to say nothing of free, as in "free market"
However, it is still essentially self organizing, albeit with complications
and done poorly.

Bui -- "It is quite hard imagining how exactly how society would look if
space was continuously kept entirely open."

HO -- It may be hard, but not impossible. But we do know a few things, I
think. The first is that the whole situation is so tremendously complex and
changeable that even on a very good day we can't understand it and so have
little likelihood establishing the rules which might adequately control the
forces at play. We have also learned, I think that when the
rules/structure/controls are emergent from the situation they tend to be
appropriate, and therefore effective. I grant you it is difficult to find
the patience to allow the emergent to emerge and so we are sorely tempted to
rush in with the fix. This of course is our history with our Environment
(capitol E) and the results to date have not been outstanding. But maybe we
can learn.

Bui -- "Let alone trying to convince skeptics."

HO -- I guess I never try, considering such an effort to be roughly akin to
teaching pigs to sing. Which a friend tells me sounds terrible and annoys
the pig. Yes, I am happy to share what I have seen, and what I think --
fully recognizing that my ability to convince is minimal to non-existent. At
the end of the day I can only open some space so that the skeptics may
convince themselves -- or not. But I do confess to a certain proud joy that
wells up when a complete skeptic suddenly puts on that "Oh shit grin" --
accompanied by the words -- "It's working."

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html