60 minute Open Space

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Fri May 29 12:21:54 PDT 2009

Okay, so tell me this - if you only have 60 minutes, why does it have
to be Open Space?
Why not another engaging, interactive, participant-centered dialogic
tool / form / process?

When I analyze what tool to use, I first define with the client their
overarching objectives, characteristics of physical site where the
meeting will be, number of participants, desired outcomes, time
available, context of what comes before and after, and several other
elements. I choose the tool last, based on that analysis and
information.

I often do not choose Open Space as the tool when there is not enough
time for the full basic form (Opening Circle, Agenda co-creation,
multiple discussion-circle sessions (ideally) and Closing Circle /
comments and reflections).  Because Open Space's gift is offering a
way to shift thinking through the use of stretching time and space and
traveling from discussion to discussion - a few session times allow
the brain to shift from the linear to the intuitive and for folks to
note patterns and threads.

So in shorter time frames I use such things as World Cafe, question
circles and other interactive, dialogic, participant-centered methods
both named and un-named.

Also: there are various elements that are common to interactive
learning and interchange - posting ideas on a wall, coming to the
center of a circle, discussion groups, co-creation of an agenda - and
I would not call them Open Space if they are not part of the basic
form.  Actually, I don't have to call those things anything - I can
just use them where they are useful.

So my Devil's Advocate question to you is: why use or call it Open
Space if it's to fit into one hour?

Thanks for the co-learning,

Co-Lisa

Lisa Heft