60 minute Open Space

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Fri May 29 08:16:39 PDT 2009

For me you can open some space in 5 minutes -- by asking a question.  That
for me is not Open Space Technology -- where I think it is important to be
conscious about the "container".  Certainly we have learned from OST.  Wave
Rider states this reality well, I think.

I will open some space as part of a process to identify leadership issues in
a hospital eHealth initiative.  I do not call it Open Space Technology.
There are other requirements for the short meeting.  I will use a flip chart
to record topics and emergent leaders as they volunteer them and to allow
folks to choose locations for one round of discussions. (Wall space is not
possible.) There will be a quick "fishbowl" convergence.  All of this will
happen in 1 to 1.5 hours.  I've done it many times with real success -- good
discussions and higher energy than table groups or other more guided
discussion formats.  There will also be more information about the nature of
the group that will emerge.  To me, this is still not the ownership and
vitality that comes from multiple rounds of self-organization where clearly
the group takes responsibility for the meeting. In 1 to 2 hour stretches, in
most settings, the facilitator is still seen by the participants to be "in
charge". It is when the facilitator is gone for most of the day that the "oh
shit" moment happens.

Larry

Larry Peterson & Associates in Transformation
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
larry at spiritedorg.com   416.653.4829 http://www.spiritedorg.com