law and Open Space

Michael Wood mjwood at admin.uwa.edu.au
Sun May 17 20:57:37 PDT 2009

Hi

Since our last communications on this, two things have happened.

1. My brother, who recently did Open Space training with Brendan McKeague in Sydney has opened space for a bunch of lawyers in Sydney. This law firm has a reputation as being a great place for lawyers to work - with a very humane working culture. So no surprise, perhaps, that they were willing to open space. The topic was around 'creating excellence'. Feedback from the group was overwhelmingly positive.

2. I have been in conversation with a friend and colleague in Perth about sustainability in the legal profession. These conversations suggest that some of the depression amongst lawyers may be related to the highly adversarial nature of normal legal system - win/lose - the terrible atmosphere created when people take things to court to be resolved. i.e. the system itself may be toxic to the well being of those who work in it. These lawyers were literally "lighting up" with enthusiasm about their emerging interest in Collaborative Family Law which provides another path way for separating couples to pursue if they want to stay out of court. Collaborative Law is well estabilished in UK and USA but not so much here. But they sounded very excited about the possibility of `opening space` to progress the collaborative law process. Work in progress! Stay tuned.

Michael Wood