Open Space & Spiral Dynamics

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Thu May 14 11:58:27 PDT 2009

John & Rory,

I'm hoping that Larry Peterson and Doug O'Loughlin might chime in, as
they are strongly grounded in both OST and SD.  At the WOSonOS in
Halifax several years ago, Larry convened a session on SD & OST.

Rory, to your point about the convening question, my own experience is
that within every group, even relatively homeostatic groups, we find a
range of memes showing up in both individual perspectives and the
collective perspective.  That said, since Spiral Dynamics is one of
the lenses I carry around with me, I can't help but be fascinated with
how the memes weave into each other in an Open Space event.  I love
watching how diversity shows up and enriches the conversations.

John, what is also of interest to me is when the sponsors seem to be
ready to unleash self-organization and once the genie is out of the
bottle, want to try to stuff it back in.  In those cases, I watch for
where the self-organization seeds have taken root, even if the formal
system seems to be ignoring them.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Warm wishes from toasty Phoenix,

Christine