looking for OS practitioner in Philadelphia area

John Engle john at johnengle.net
Mon May 4 19:33:53 PDT 2009

Hi Nigel,

When my friend communicated that they preferred a person of color to
facilitate, my first response was, "I'm not going to put that in my
message to the OS list." I knew there would be philosophical questions
and didn't feel I had the energy and time to respond, even though I
felt no need personally, to call into question the wisdom of this
particular group or another one that indicates such a preference in
their facilitator.

When it comes to groups dealing with issues of anti-racism, gender
equality, etc. i just assume that each one is dealing with nuances,
complexities and intricacies that would require an immense amount of
time for me to begin to understand.

This particular group indicated that they preferred to have a
facilitator who is a person of color. I made no mention that they have
a preference of color in general.

I'm white, my wife's black, my three year old son calls himself
yellow ; ). My wife and I don't think of ourselves as racist. In fact,
we're committed to promoting equality and love among all human beings.
I don't know this group wanting the facilitator except for my co-
worker who is a part of it. Coincidently, he is white and has two
black daughters. But I can certainly imagine either my wife or i
feeling like there might be a type of person (color, class, gender,
sexual preference) that is better suited to create a trusting and safe
environment, depending upon the group involved, even if it's a group
committed to love and equality among all human beings.

Can't you?

Meeting people where they are is so essential. I know you do this in
your work. I've met people who glow when they speak of you and what
you do.

The pain and wounds among many people--even those committed to not
discriminate--are so deep. Where I currently live in Florida, black
people in their 70's share stories of family members being lynched by
KKK and how they grew up in fear and terror. Haiti, where I lived many
years and still work, where black Africans were enslaved by whites for
centuries, color (and even shade) is, unfortunately, of huge
consequence, whether one wants it to be or not.

In my humble opinion, the fact that an anti-racist group prefers to
have a person of colour facilitate their open space meeting should not
necessarily call into question their commitment to anti-racism. In my
humble opinion, it could be a very wise preference, depending on the
circumstances.

John