Open Space Technology as a community development tool

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Sat May 2 08:03:50 PDT 2009

Dear Daniel,
congratulations on your training (where did you receive it?) and good
luck with your work.
My roots are also in community work, in community organisation. When I
started to work in that area back in 1965 I felt that this approach will
definitely renew the world if not the entire universe and put my whole
heart into it.
In 1996, some 30 years later, I ran into Open Space (at a training in
the UK led by Harrison Owen and Romy Shovelton)and had exactly that same
reaction that Harrison described in his response to you.
However, I and my colleagues steeped in Community Organisation had
realized for some time that "empowering the people" was a silly
hierarchical notion: People are empowered. And here is where OST plays
an ever growing part with its underlying principle of nurturing the
unfolding of time and space for selforganisation. Within that process I
and you and apparently loads of people, groups, systems, organisations,
neighborhoods, schools, networks...manifest their empowerement
formulating their passions and taking action.
So, OST is not a tool for community development or for productive
communication or for superior performance or for peace but an approach
for the unfolding of selforganisation in which all those grand things
CAN (and often do) happen.
I myself have been involved in a number of OST events which focused on
neighborhoods (community developement, community organisation, urban
development, city planning)and I am sure that hundreds of colleagues on
this list have too...and possibly research has been conducted in this
area. If you have specific questions for your research, post them on
this list and be prepared to be surprised.
The data base on Open Space events
> http://www.openspaceworldscape.org
will present 46 events (out of 507 listed) if you choose the field
"community organisation".
If you go to "Events" in
> http://www.boscop.org/
click "Search" and enter "Gemeinwesenarbeit" (the German word for
community work) in the field "Branche/Tags" some 17 events(out of 362
events) pop up, 9 with an English title...from Belarus,Serbia, Sweden
and the rest from Germany.
Am curious what your research will turn up with!
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 459 resident Open
Space Workers in 73 countries working in a total of 139 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org