Open Space Technology as a community development tool

Robyn Williams pov at iinet.net.au
Fri May 1 05:04:36 PDT 2009

Ho!

Cheers, Robyn

Robyn Williams
POV Communication for Sustainability
V: 08 9331 8642
M: 0424 587 262
E: pov at iinet.net.au

-----Original Message-----
From: OSLIST [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU] On Behalf Of Harrison
Owen
Sent: Friday, 1 May 2009 7:55 PM
To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
Subject: Re: [OSLIST] Open Space Technology as a community development tool

Daniel -- I think you may be sorry you asked that question as the response
level is likely to be a little overwhelming. And if it is not, the reason is
that folks are out doing Community Development, otherwise known as opening
space. I can speak for this personally as an old community organizer from
the '60s. I hadn't drunk the two martinis at that point, but I definitely
wish I had. Would have saved a lot of effort -- but the truth of the matter
is that in Open Space we create a nutrient environment in which folks can
develop and grow. Sounds like community development to me. And of course the
best sort of community development is the kind where the people themselves
take responsibility for their own growth -- what they care about. Call that
Power to the People. Nobody gives it -- you have to claim it for yourself.
You got to stand up in the circle and say, "My passion is.... / My name
is...

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html