Beginning in OS

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat May 9 08:02:25 PDT 2009

David, I think it has been a good go. Thanks for the start. And there was
one other thing that ran through my mind which might be worth adding to the
discussion. Open Space is free. Which is not to say consultants aren't
worthy of compensation -- they are, and I am very thankful for that :-)

However, from the very beginning Open Space Technology has been free for the
taking. I never made any attempt to patent, trademark, or franchise OST. The
reasons were partially self-interest and partially altruism. On the self
interest side, it was clear to me that had I done any of the above I would
have spent all my time defending the patent/trademark/franchise. And
truthfully, I all I really wanted to do was open space -- in my life and in
the lives of those around me. On the altruism side, it always seemed to me
that Open Space was the birthright of every citizen of planet earth. Right
up there with Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness comes having
sufficient Open Space to do all three.

So Open Space has been free ever since. But there is a cost for freedom --
That we share freely what we have all learned. Such sharing is the nature of
this wonderful OSLIST, and it is the earmark of every OSONOS. The fact that
some people (myself included) run "training programs" in Open Space for a
fee, might seem a little out of whack. But then again I have rather weird
sense of humor. I have always felt (and said) that anybody with a good head
and a good heart can "do" Open Space, although it may well take you a life
time to do it well. However if you want to pay to learn how, I am quite
happy to take your money.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html