AW: Begining in OS

Catherine Pfaehler c.pfaehler at bluewin.ch
Wed May 6 13:46:26 PDT 2009

My start was with Florian Fischer as my facilitator, helping me facilitate
my first big OS. I did the work up front with the preparation group and got
to ask him all my questions by email or phone, which was wonderful and very
inspiring. He meant to help facilitate as it was a bilingual event, but had
to withdraw two days prior to the event for health reasons. (I then found
out that co-facilitation only works if you have known the other person well
- otherwise, one facilitator and one translator is better.) We evenly split
the money earned for the preparation of the event.

Next time, I had a coach alongside who was paid by the sponsor. After that,
I saw my coach once to clarify my specific questions for the next OS event.
In the meantime, I do well by myself, of course always with the help of a
preparation group from the sponsor's organisation and with the help of you
all if I have a question. This OSLIST is really a wonderful resource.

I offer my clients that they can learn about the method in being an
assistant and later on, me being their assistant. In Switzerland, I find
occasions for OS every day, simply by reading the newspaper. Of course, then
it takes phone calls and seeing clients about my ideas to find out whether
OS is adequate to solve the problem. AND I am very aware not to create too
much work for myself that way. Wherever I have an idealistic interest to
offer an OS event, danger of burnout lurks. But somehow, when I tell about
OS, people find it interesting and some do come back to me asking for a
first discussion.

I have also learned that a sponsor is essential. Offering an event by myself
to the public can be expensive if it then doesn't happen because the need
for it is not big enough.

Offering OS events in leisure time institutions for free has been a good way
to sum up more experience and to strengthen the communities involved, but so
far, I haven't gotten a paid OS event out of these offerings. I keep on
doing it anyway because I love that community.

Sometimes, I participate in an OS co-created by other OS practitioners, to
be a participant and learn about facilitating from that side. The last time
was in November in Berlin where Harrison couldn't come. The learning was
profound. Not only did I walk out with the sentence "I invite myself to live
the life of my dreams now" (with which I keep wandering.), but also did I
realize how unimportant the facilitator is once the groups are on their way.
It's really THEIR thing, not the facilitator's. That has let me be much more
relaxed as a facilitator, finally really taking a nap in the sun during
breakout sessions. :-)

With gratitude, C.

Catherine Pfaehler Senn

lic.oec.HSG