social networking and twitter

Jack Martin Leith jack at jackmartinleith.com
Tue Mar 31 01:20:07 PDT 2009

<Thanks all for this rich and passionate conversation!>

I endorse that wholeheartedly.

If you look at my Twitter steam (that is, posts or tweets I've made)
http://twitter.com/ideastosuccess you'll see one of the ways that Twitter
can be used - to help your followers (benign stalkers, you could say) keep
up with the latest thinking on a topic, in this case innovation.

Here are a few things I've learnt about using Twitter in this way:

1) Stay on topic

2) Make sure your posts are interesting ... ask yourself "If I were reading
this, would I think 'that's interesting' or would I think 'so what?'

3) Don't do one-to-one Tweets - use DM (direct message) for that

4) When forwarding a Tweet (RT = retweet) credit your source:
@source's-twitter-identity

5) Include links if possible ... use TinyURL http://tinyurl.com or similar
service to shorten the URL

6) People are fond of lists and trade secrets - the top 10 this and the
secrets of that

7) This is really important: DO NOT SELL!

8) There's no obligation to follow someone just because they are following
you. Choose those you follow carefully.

I hope that's useful.

Jack

Jack Martin Leith : Fostering New Innovation Practice
Bristol, United Kingdom
Mobile: 07831 840541 (+44 7831 840541)
Skype: jackmartinleith
email: jack at jackmartinleith.com