Social Networking

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Mar 30 08:54:38 PDT 2009

some thoughts on what's been said so far.  full disclosure, i don't tweet.
but i might be just on the edge of my tweet seat.

i love what ralph says about not wanting to skip along your surface.  it
seems that twitter is more likely to produce statements than questions, and
not a great deal of depth.  but i think we've all seen proceedings documents
where good conversations didn't produce the most impressive write-ups, or
any at all.

thinking about the larger conversation that twitter is part of, we know that
the conversation on this oslist is different, and deeper, for the annual
osonos travels of a small slice of us.  and that those gatherings are
possible likely only because we keep the flame alive here online.

twitter and facebook seem more like an extension of watching, a way to be
all in the same place, a way to notice and relish that we are all at the
same party, share many of the same people and interests, but don't
necessarily have an intimate dialogue every time we have an event.  in the
physical world of relationships, we go to a lot of meetings because being
there is important, being present, witnessing, listening, and then there are
relatively few moments when we step up and volunteer for something, or have
an intimate, deeply meaningful side conversation, or ask for help in a
crisis.  twitter and facebook are a way to "show up", a first step, in some
sort of larger world that's emerging.

as for the young, i just facilitated an afternoon program with 120 "high
potential" high school seniors as part of a final selection process for
full-ride scholarships to two excellent universities.  it was a cafe format,
but the first session was used to write questions that these young leaders
thought they and other young people should be addressing.  then we did three
rounds in which table hosts picked the questions and raised them with
whoever rotated to their table for one session.  after the first
question-making session, the 20 tables went in 20 different directions, like
an open space with so many small stakes in the ground.  and i went around
picking up cups and the last bits of box-lunch trash in cafe-style, with a
small tray and quiet "can i take that out of your way?"

for all of the potential for doubting statement-biased broadcast-by-twitter,
these kids dug deep into the process of questionning and listening.  sitting
back and listening to the plenary ending, indistinguishable (except for the
tables and clustering) from an open space closing circle, i was impressed
again by these folks, their ownership and engagement.  my guess is that we'd
get the much the same result with almost any 100 kids, if they had the same
chance to get together and question each other deeply.  the world
continually ripening, no?

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com