twittering?

Tom Tuddenham ferrisoxide at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:34:32 PDT 2009

Hi Doug
Geek-rant-mode on

The notion of an "open interface" is a published, readily understandable (at
least to a technical audience) set of protocols for connecting to an online
service.

Both Twitter and Facebook have what are called APIs (Application Programming
Interfaces) that allow you to either extend the functionality or interact
with the underlying service. If you have a look at
http://twitter.com/downloads you'll see a list of applications that make use
of the Twitter API. Some of these applications are written by the Twitter
crowd, but some are from individuals who presumably just had an "itch to
scratch".

I've been playing with the Facebook API lately - mostly just to just to get
my head around how the technology works - and it strikes me as an
interesting adjunct to OST. Because I'm probably more focussed on technology
than on OST (just the nature of my work) I wanted to put out there the idea
that Twitter, Facebook and the other "social applications" aren't closed
systems; that we can not only embrace things like Twitter and Facebook but
also use their open interfaces to extend them and create new value.

Geek-rant-mode off :)

Cheers
Tom