Social Networking

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:15:52 PDT 2009

I love the social tools because they allow me to connect with and get to
know people in far flung areas who are closer to me in thought and spirit
than those who are nearby.  For me, twitter, facebook, skype and blogging
are a means to an end, and that end os sharing open face to face
conversations with folks that are in disperate places, but with whom I learn
a lot.

And something to think about intergenerationally is that there are teenagers
now who have lived their entire lives in a world with blogging, skype, and
facebook.  Think about that for a minute.  These people don't consider these
technologies to be old at all.  They consider them the default setting.

In a time when intergenerational conversation is becoming more important
(how do we talk to the people with whom we have saddled with a trillion
dollar debt, to explain to them to follies of our excess?) knowing a little
about how these technologies enable self-organizing behaviour among digital
natives is very important.  And learning to use them I think is as important
as employing other powerful social technologies like, say, Open Space.

So I don't begrudge the unwillingness to particiapte in the collective
monkey mind (thanks Karen!) or the pining for real contact, but I do
encourage people to learn about and play with these tools, just like we have
with OST and see what happens...

Chris

PS... micheal...dynamite cafe design!

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.