Open Space being badly defined

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 00:26:18 PDT 2009

I am thinking along the same lines, Kaliya. I agree with Harrison and others that it will be lovely when the open space process dissolves into the way things are done.
Seems to me that this can happen when enough of us have experience of the personal and collective dynamics that take place when open space process is done well. And frankly, when we have enough experience of these dynamics that they become a worldview, a way of life. For some people this takes an hour; for others, maybe years. From that place, any sort of creative tweaking of the process has a more firm foundation.
Not that the open space process is required in order to have such experiences and shift in worldview. Many people likely learn such a worldview in different ways; the culture we are raised into, or myriad transformative practices. But I'm astonished that our simple process enables such a shift both personally and collectively, and that's why OST is so special to me.
On a related note, I am curious how people talk about our personal experience of participating in a self-organizing system. Self-organizing describes collective dynamics very well, but to me the personal dynamics inside of open space process can be described in a more satisfying way. I learned the term "wayfinding" from indigenous teachers, and find that it captures my sense of holistic personal choicemaking in open space, which leads to learning, contribution, and surprises. (Thanks to Chris for insights around this.) How do others think about this?

Jeffmount tamalpais