Open Space being badly defined

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Mon Jun 15 01:22:33 PDT 2009

Hi Kaliya and all,
I had the opportunity to participate in one of John Pinkus' Mashup's
at Microsoft.  It was a very frustrating experience for an OS
facilitator.  The energetics were all sideways.  And it was extremely
hard to watch that much talent and money get, to be crude, pissed up a
wall.  As you say Kaliya, like a bunch of Alpha males, or in this
case, Alpha geeks, in a leaping contest to see who could get the most
sponsorship for their idea, whoring away at influence and power ego
BS.  Eck.  To be more specific, instead of the liberating structure of
OS and other sister methodologies, there was a total absence of
container.  All the energy and intelligence and creativity was just
bouncing around the space.  It was like they thought they could take,
as you say, all the cool stuff they can 'see' (lets remember we're
dealing with a variety of engineer here) and hash it all up together
to get something just so hip--but with no soul.

Pinkus has confused technology with strategy before and since.  And i
think he's simply characteristic of IT leadership in general.  The
problem with confusing one's tools with one's strategy is that it's
all about what you can see on the surface and not at all addressing
the essence, the invitation or the soul of the work.  That's an
ongoing challenge with an IT audience. They think in algorithm.  The
MS campaign "People ready" is a great example.  As if you could just
pop people into the equation and have it all work.  Says it all
really.  ( The washrooms are labelled with plug diagrams...sockets for
the girls and plugs for the boys...really, i'm not making this
up...they think of us as sockets and pins.)  As i said in an earlier
post, we have managed to engineer for ourselves a largely inhuman
context.  And the sweet, brilliant folks who work in IT endure one of
the most driven, inhuman contexts in the developed world. (And there
are good people trying, largely unsuccessfully, to change that.)

The IT crowd loves and thrives in OST when they get the chance to get
into it, just like everybody else.  And it's a damn hard sell--because
explaining the difference between what they are doing and what we are
proposing largely lands in territory they don't include in their
consciousness.  You've got to make the business case.  Bottom line.
And to be honest, most of us process folks just aren't that good at
doing that.  So, we keep offering and keep demo-ing, and start
competing events that are successful and people love, and in the long
run, well ;) those who are better at self-organization will eventually
out-evolve the rest of the pack.  Frustrating in the short term, but
no other outcome possible really....

And there is a lot of good info about OST and a lot of bad info
circulating too.  And it would be good if more of us who care took
more active responsibility in making sure good information is
available in the most visible and accessed repositories (perhaps the
Institutes could take this on?).  And we will still hit the wall of
understanding and interpretation.  Some things you can only learn by
experience.

Feeling feisty and tricksterish,
hugs to y'all
Wendy

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil
CEO Prospera Consulting
wendy at xe.net
1-800-713-2351

The moment of change is the only poem. -- Adrienne Rich