I guess RE: Open Space being badly defined

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Jun 11 05:20:31 PDT 2009

Erik -- Not to worry about accusation. It is doubtless deserved. But let's
go a little bit further. On the question of values, you mention that OST was
"rooted in a set of values." That would suggest that we started with a set
of values and then designed OST to match -- would it not? But the truth of
the matter is rather different. I simply had a conference to run, and was
too lazy and lacked sufficient time to do what most people did (Planning
groups, etc). To ease the pain and enjoy the Washington Spring I had two
martinis on my patio in April of 1985. By the end of the second (martini)
OST had been born -- Sit in a circle, create a bulletin board, open a market
place, and go to work. In July we (85 folks) "did it" and it worked, which
is to say we created a 5 day symposium with multiple sessions all of which
took place with little to no fuss. Not a planning committee or management
committee in sight. It wasn't that we were anti-planning or management;
neither were needed. Of course that raises all sorts of questions about the
utility/effectiveness of planning and management but none of us went there
at that point. Indeed it was only 4-5 years later that I really took OST
seriously and began to consider the questions it raised. Those questions
were appalling, for if valid virtually everything I knew from theory and
practice about the management of meetings, indeed management itself -- all
went poof. Not a comfortable experience only made worse by the fact that I
discovered that client groups were able to accomplish in 2 days what had
been taking them ten months to two years. The effect on my billable hours
was catastrophic. At some level I almost wish that I had never drunk the
martinis. I could have made a lot more money and nobody would be thinking
that what I did was weird, to say nothing of counterintuitive and heretical
(in need of “rebranding” :-)).

A saving grace was the fact that Open Space is fun, and that people are fun
to be with in Open Space. That has been true for me all over the world. I
guess there are people who don't want to have any fun and run away when
folks get excited, innovative, creative and intense -- after all things
could get out of control! God love them and for sure they can be as
miserable as the want. I won't say a word. But for my self I truly enjoy a
full, open, joyous, fun life -- and wouldn't have it any other way. Ah --
you got me! My values are sneaking through.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options