Open Space being badly defined

Holger Nauheimer (Change Facilitation) holger at CHANGE-FACILITATION.ORG
Mon Jun 8 23:51:56 PDT 2009

Hi Kaliya,

although I don't want to interfere with this particular Wikipedia article, I
am not very happy with your edition. Let me explain, and let us try to find
some common ground:

1. Bar Camps are derived from Open Space Technology. They are a crude
adaptation of the principles and leave out a couple of essential elements of
OST. But they are still self-organized meetings (with less of magic, I agree)

2. I have never attended a Bar Camp where somebody claimed that this was ON
OST. People say, "this is a Bar Camp."

3. I believe that it is good that principles of self-organization
("un-conference") have entered into other areas of life and society, whether
one calls it OST, Bar Camp, World Café etc. I don't care much for the names,
as long a meeting is about passion and responsibility. In this sense,
Harrison, and all we followers have contributed to a better world, or at
least, to better meetings.

4. The way you phrased it in your revision ("FooCamp derived some of its
process from Open Space Technology but left out key elements like having the
agenda making process facilitated and leaving out sharing the 4 principles
of Open Space and Law of Two feet that help frame how people act throughout
the day. Closing wrap-up the "evening news" of how the day went was also
left out. Since BarCamp is a "replication" of FooCamp it also changed -
making yet farther removed from the original method.") focuses on the
differences and leaves a kind of negative imprint. But it is great that
people do Bar Camps, isn't it? We, as an OST movement shouldn't try to
distinguish us from the Bar Camp movement but rather looking more at the
common ground. That will give OST also a greater exposure. Many young people
know Bar Camps but they don't know OST. So here is a chance to be a
"missionary" and tell them - you can do even more with some simple procedures.

5. I propose (but leave it up to you) to rephrase this particular article in
the following way: "FooCamps and BarCamps are based on a simplified
variation of Open Space Technology (OST), leaving out some key elements like
the 4 principles and the Law of the Two Feet but maintaining the
self-organizing character of OST. Other than in classical conference
formats, BarCamps and OST rely on the passion and the responsibility of the
participants, putting them into the driver's seat."

6. I agree with your remarks on the article on Open-space meetings and have
just entered the following comment into the discussion:
"I believe this article is redundant and confusing and should be either
deleted or merged with [[Open Space Technology]]. What would be reason to
keep this one? Open Space meetings don't exist. There is Open Space
Technology, and there are meetings that are done in an Open Space like
style. But this is too fuzzy for a single article."