Action and Self Organization

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Jun 22 08:29:45 PDT 2009

Somewhere along the line the idea crept in that a self-organizing world
severely limited, if not eliminated, human initiative. With thoughts such as
these it is not surprising that many would find the notion of
self-organization abhorrent, and definitely to be resisted. After all -- if
true we would be reduced to the level of zombies whose fate and future lay
totally out of our hands.

I believe the truth of the matter to be radically different. And the basis
of my belief is our common experience in the 1000's of Open Spaces we have
enjoyed. I take it as a given that the essence of Open Space is the primal
power of self organization - no news there. :-) Every time we open space the
forces of self organization are invited to be fully present. Of course,
those forces are there all the time, but we do seem to make best effort to
keep them under control. :-) :-)

Now ask yourself - what is the common experience in Open Space for both
First Timers and Old Hands? I don't think you would describe it as
restrictive, dis-empowering, or imprisoning! Indeed - quite the opposite. I
grant you some folks get a little carried away, but I have heard it said
that the experience was one of radical freedom and intense creativity. I
remember one total skeptic saying, as the event came to a conclusion, that
never before had he experienced such respect and acceptance in a group - and
never before had his feeling of personal power and contribution been as
great. Such feelings might be mistaken as the outpouring of rampant
individualism. Something that Anne Rand might be proud of. But that is
hardly the case for these same people and others as well speak of a deep
sense of community, being in the presence of brothers and sisters who only
hours before were total strangers - of Coming Home.

I have often heard another remark which is rather bitter/sweet: "This has
been so wonderful - too bad we have to go back to reality."  Or it is said
that it is time to go back to the "real world." Sad statements for sure, and
were it to turn out that the experience in Open Space WAS reality - those
statements are tragic. I am quite aware that life is filled with a full
measure of chaos, confusion and conflict. Indeed all three are essential for
life, and all three predictably show up in the course of any juicy Open
Space. But the difference is that in Open Space the flow of emergent events
is honored thereby allowing them to reach their natural resolution. Nobody
attempts to coral them into submission. The Law of Two Feet applies.

At the end of the day Open Space Technology is not about having great
meetings. Nor is it simply another tool in the facilitators' tool box,
although both are doubtless true. For me the true equity I find in OST is
the ongoing natural experiment and learning experience of living
intentionally in a self-organizing world. Perhaps it is for this reason that
I find the enhancement of the facilitator's role and tools to be less than
interesting - unless that enhancement involved the reduction of that role to
the point of total invisability.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>