Fabulous Facilitators

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Jun 21 19:00:50 PDT 2009

Hi, Cliodhna and others -

Fabulous Facilitators is the monthly face-to-face gathering I have
hosted in the San Francisco Bay Area since 2002.

It's easy and designed to be that way - pot-luck, a little announce
list reminds folks of the next dates, I take notes and distribute them
to folks.  People do not have to rsvp or anything - they just walk in
or not depending on their schedule. Every other month, our
conversation goes wherever it goes (folks bring up design puzzles,
questions about methods, sharing thoughts about challenging
situations, whatever).  Every -other- month, we begin with a juicy,
complex question to first take our conversation into another kind of
thoughtful space.  This balance of every other time helps include both
those new to / emerging into the profession and those with many years
of practice.

This group is specifically for folks whose work or study is
facilitation / group process, rather than a specific method.  Members
are encouraged to give other members discounts for workshops they may
offer. There are no presentations, no guest speakers. It's a
conversation, in a circle, only lightly facilitated (if it wanders off
group process into politics or whatever I gently remind folks to
continue those bits after the meeting so we can stay on the subject of
facilitation as is the wish of our members).  I provide some handouts
(for example one listing more ways to learn about the various methods
we often discuss) so we do not answer the same questions over again
for first-timers but can help them learn more -and- continue in these
amazing conversations. All questions are welcome, though, of course.

These meetings mostly happen on a Monday morning from 9:00a to 11:00a
- whenever I check in, it still seems to be a time that works for most
folks.  Those with weekday jobs either take some time off or come
during the times of year when there is holiday schedule, for example.

Perhaps some of these above bits will be useful to you as you host
your own Fabulous Facilitators gathering.  And I very much look
forward to dropping in to visit when next my work and life takes me to
Northwest England...

A warm hello from an early California evening,

Lisa