the new normal?

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Mon Jun 1 10:50:49 PDT 2009

one of the things i remember clearly from my first conversation with
harrison is a line about open space, in 5 or whatever, pick a number,
years... becoming just the way we do business.  in a word, normal.

now, harrison is running around telling this story about "waveriders."
well, it seems that he/we are about to get a little help from the good
people at google, toward our new normal.

check this out.  a long demo of a new google service coming this fall.  the
key is that it aims to replace a lot of current web tools, or merge or
improve or something... but the key structural shift is from messages as
things that people exchange to conversations.  they have a nice little
graphic to illustrate, early in the demo video.  so google would seem to be
shifting the focus from messages and broadcasts to conversations and meeting
places.

sounds like progress to me.  and what do they call it?  http://wave
.google.com/

and, it's to be opensourced, so it's not theirs, only, but like email can be
replicated and implemented by many.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

http://www.michaelherman.com