What I love most about OST (was Re: [OSLIST] Origins of "one less thing" and "letting go"

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 14:21:44 PDT 2009

Hi people:

It is interesting, but the thing that I most love about OST has much to do with "one less thing"...

OST is, as far as I know, the only methodology where the facilitator has to create a certain number of previous requisites, do a concise opening, and then let the people do their own work. This assumes that one believes in the people in the room to do the job and gives them all the power to self-organize. And it works every time!

When I compare OST with all the other "facilitation" methodologies that I have studied, what most impresses me is that in all the others the facilitator (or a lot of facilitators) has (have) the central role. He/she/them is everywhere, doing all the sorts of things, (unconsciously) letting people to “understand” that without him/her/them (the facilitator(s) they would not be able to do the job.

That is also the reason I have difficulty in understanding how the some people that facilitate OST, can also facilitate more formal/control_oriented methodologies. Ora why must we add other things (like a “warming up” up or AI session at the beginning) to something that is already perfect. Add one more thing only disempowers people. Discover one more thing not to do - that is the real job of the facilitator preparation!

And, of course, all this has everything to do with Taoism and very little to do with normal western thinking that is our biggest enemy when trying to facilitate OST - to forget and bypass the paradigm in what we have been educated, I mean, indoctrinated. We must also let go of that!

Artur

PS: In what concerns your PS, Harrison, "no comments!"