An Experiment in Closing Space

Martin Boroson marty at becomingme.com
Wed Jan 21 04:21:27 PST 2009

Steve

I love this story, and your insight.

I will definitely remember this and try it out.

I have run some other kinds of workshops (not Open Space), where it's not
unusual for people to get in touch with strong emotion, such as anger.  My
sense is that people who are very angry, deep down, really just need a hand
on the shoulder or a hug, but the challenge is getting close enough to them
-- without getting hit ;) .  Just standing near them is a good starting
point.

(I would probably one little touch . that perhaps when standing next to a
person in a difficult frame of mind, a moment or two of silent meditation
might be useful.  Something about compassionate intent . and not seeing them
as the 'problem'.)

Your story reminds me of a familiar scenario in Open Space:  Someone charges
up to the facilitator, demanding that some change be made to the format, and
when the facilitator says, "Why don't you suggest it to the group," the
participant goes away and does nothing.

It seems that people have different codes of behavior, depending on whether
they are anonymous (e.g. internet chatrooms), in public, being seen by
someone in authority, seen by the group, etc.

Definitely something to keep in mind .

Thanks for sharing this,

Marty

  _____