Opening Space in different ways

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 07:40:03 PST 2009

I was equally moved to tears by this beautiful video that you sent Harrison.
As a new OS member, I feel such a warmth of community in the OS group. This
is my first communication and I apologize if it is a bit long but with the
upcoming Inauguration, I just felt compelled to share the story that I
shared with my dear US friends last week.

To my US Friends

I am writing to you because, as a Canadian citizen living in the US on a
green card, I feel touched and inspired by the spirit and sharing I see as
the country prepares for the inauguration next week.

Over the Christmas Holidays I read a book called Silver Rights by
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5
Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Constance%20Curry>
Constance Curry (Author).
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Rights-Harvest-Constance-Curry/dp/0156004798

It is the true story of an African American family in Mississippi who were
the first to desegregate an all-white school in the '60s. Matthew and May
Bertha sent 7 of their 13 children to the first desegregated school in Drew
Mississippi. Gloria Dickerson is one of those 7 children. The suffering and
rejection that these children and their family faced in the school and their
community just breaks your heart. I met Gloria, who works for the Kellogg
Foundation, at a Peter Block organizational training workshop in New Jersey
last fall.  She has a Masters degree and does fantastic work with this
multi-million foundation dedicated to helping black communities in
Mississippi. We became friends.  I talked to Gloria last  week telling her
how moved I was by her family's story.  And just now, I felt compelled to
send Gloria and her family this email which I also wanted to share with you:

Gloria,

With the upcoming inauguration, I wanted to thank you and each member of
your family for all that you did which made possible what is happening now.
Your mother's and father's  conviction and courage led to a very big gift
for this country: helping to restore a spirit of humanity and  hope in our
country and the world.

I feel humbled to have met you, to have read the book Silver Rights which
gave me an insight and appreciation  (and so much admiration) that I never
could have had otherwise.

Your family lived by what is in the Declaration of Independence and by the
words of Martin Luther King:

We hold these truths to be  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-evident>
self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creator_deity> Creator with certain
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inalienable_rights> unalienable Rights, that
among these are
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life,_liberty_and_the_pursuit_of_happiness>
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true
meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men
are created equal."

So next week, please know that I, my family and friends, thank you from the
bottom of our heart.  I know we still have a long way to go and that there
will be tough struggles ahead but  I for one, leading first from the heart,
am committed to do what I can to make a difference.

Enjoy and celebrate together as you so deserve.

Suzanne

THIS IS THE ANSWER I GOT FROM GLORIA LAST FRIDAY

Suzanne,

Thank you.  I will pass on your kind words to my sisters and brothers.  I
can say that I m glad that I have been a part of making life better for
everyone.  My sisters and brothers also share that sentiment.

I know that the inauguration will bring back memories of the struggle.  That
is OK.  It will be a wonderful day of accomplishment.  It will be an
inspirational day for me because it will give me even more courage to keep
hope, the dream, and the necessary work that must be done alive.

You are so wonderful to share with your family and friends.  Hopefully, you
too will enjoy the day, and be proud for our new President.

Gloria.

Suzanne Daigle

Managing Partner, US Operations

Tel:  941-359-8877