Baby-step into O.S. -- questions

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Wed Feb 11 23:56:09 PST 2009

Hi Lisa,

Welcome!

You are facing one of the dilemmas of the OS facilitator.  I think
everyone has tried to wear both hats at once at some point.  My
experience and the experience of many others is that it is a real
stretch.  Holding space is a more energetic process than it looks from
the outside.  I believe that you demonstrate leadership by putting
your agenda on hold and by opening and holding space for what needs to
emerge for the group.  When you dedicate yourself to that role in
service to the good of the group, that gift resonates in very powerful
ways.

I would choose to invite the whole system into the room.  I think you
will have much juicier conversations.  And if an elephant shows up in
the room, everyone is there to deal with it.  There are a lot of
reasons why inviting the largest group possible is important.
Strategically, i think that you risk alienating further the vanguard
people as you put it and reinforce an us/them dynamic that already
seems to be present.

I encourage you to open as big a space as you can.  You have had the
benefit of two learnings with dearest Queen Lisa (which is more than
most of us had when we first started), so you will do just fine.  It
is wonderful that you have shown up here and asked your questions.
That you thought to ask them suggests to me that you already know the
answers.  Trust your intuition.  Listen to your heart.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it went.
Cheers,
Wendy

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil
CEO Prospera Consulting
wendy at xe.net
1-800-713-2351

The moment of change is the only poem. -- Adrienne Rich