FW: Acceptance & Understanding - development of curriculum materials

fergal barr thekingisalive at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 03:05:05 PST 2009

Greetings Folks

I'm currently doing a bit of work for the Curriculum Development Unit (in Northern Ireland) to produce a guidance document on the core principle of Acceptance and Understanding of Others (which is one of three core principles of the 'Youth Work: A Model for Effective Practice', which is effectively the underpinning approach to youth work in NI).

"The promotion of acceptance and understanding of
others  involves enabling young
people to respect and value themselves and others.  It seeks the appreciation of the difference
between and interdependence of people within society, one's own youth group, close
community and beyond.  It includes seeing
cultural diversity as a positive thing..recognising others as equal, different
yet related to us, is not easy.  It
requires an understanding of the meaning of equity and a commitment through
youth work to oppose sectarianism and any form of discrimination."

The guidance materials will focus on practice with 11-18 year olds but which will be accessible to part-time staff and volunteers.  Part-time staff and volunteers make up the majority of youth workers in Northern Ireland.  Most of them are not professionally qualified, e.g., Degrees, Diplomas, etc although significant numbers will have basic qualifications in youth work.  Many of them will have years of experience that is vital and essential to the delivery of youth work in Northern Ireland.  Most Part-time workers and volunteers would contribute between 8 and 12 hours per week and their work would largely be at night and involve face-to-face work with young people.

As part of this process and in order to produce a document that meets this aim I'm collating information re 'Acceptance and Understanding of others'.  This can mean any of the following:

methodologiesmodels of practice
theoriesactivitiesyour own thoughts on the matteryour own case studies
useful web links
essential reading

I also want to identify 6 groups that will act as Case Studies-it might be useful to have an international case study so if you have one then this would be useful.

The document produced will help inform part-time staff and volunteers as to how to raise the issue of Acceptance and Understanding in practice with young people.

The document will address a number of important issues including:

value base underpinning practicecontext and rationale for being involved in work promoting accpetance and understanding of othersthe range of issues acceptance and understanding of others addressesmodels of practicehow it can be embedded in practicepractical exercises that can be usedsources of information to support work
If you think you can help in any way please share whatever information you can.

Thanking you in anticipation of your support and co-operation.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Fergal

My book:  The Things People Say: Political Quotations from the Northern Ireland Peace Process
To buy it on-line: http://www.trafford.com/07-2815

To order it in a book shop: Give the nice man/woman this ISBN number : 1-4251-6179-0

Info about me: http://trainers.salto-youth.net/FergalBarr/

Organisation I work for: www.claudyyouth.com

Organistion I used to work for: www.offthestreets.org

How I live my life: Humour is the shortest distance between people;Always remember there is someone worse off than you; It's not a matter of if only a matter of when

Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!
Share your photos with Windows Live Photos - Free Try it Now!