Open Space and academic research

Jeff Aitken magic.teams at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:35:07 PST 2009

One reason that I was able to conduct academic research in OST with few problems is because the faculty at my graduate school are participating in a significant revolution in what has been called "human science" or qualitative (not quantitative/statistical) research.
One purpose of this kind of research is not to "prove" that something works because it can be "shown" to work a certain percentage of the time; we are not testing pharmaceuticals or building auto tires. The purpose is to gather and share powerful stories of the impact of OST on people's lives, which then have an impact on the readers, who might be tempted to try it themselves.
The methods that I used in my dissertation were at the far edges of this revolution. The "organic inquiry" method, also called feminist heuristic phenomenology, was developed at the Institute for Transpersonal Psychology and is taught in several schools now. It was developed in response to the needs of bright, creative scholars, who found that the inquiries about the depths of human experience that they were most passionate about could not be conducted using the methods that they had been taught.
A small group of women professors and scholars met for several months and developed this method, which has power and appropriate rigor and the capacity to document transformative experiences in a way that the reader is moved and invited to engage.
The other method I used in my dissertation, the "indigenous science" method, was developed by an Oneida (Native American) professor and scholar, as a way to build a bridge between the Western social (and biological/physical) sciences and the ways of conducting research that have been developed over millenia in indigenous cultures/communities.
My point is to share that the field of academic research is itself transforming, in ways that may better serve the needs of people who want to study powerful processes like the ones we love.
jeff aitken PhDmount tamalpais, california