[AoH] Collective Leadership

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Dec 6 03:36:13 PST 2009

Hello Ashley:

Some reflections from three days spent exploring this question with 25 young
Estonian leaders:

   - Day One <http://chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot/?p=2471>
   - Day Two <http://chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot/?p=2473>
   - Day Three <http://chriscorrigan.com/parkinglot/?p=2477>

One of the ways we structured this learning journey was by exploring "the
Art of Participatory Leadership" which is kind of an inquiry from how
participatory methods work, and noticing what moves into larger fields and
contexts.  Our basic frame from the three days was: Basics - Tools -
Application" and the mode we used was "noticing."  We spent the first day
just noticing what the basic patterns of participatory leadership are, what
we have learned from Open Space and World Cafe and other forms and methods
and then thinking about how to apply those basics to other areas of work,
including invitation, organization, management, leadership and so on.   I
love what Michael has written about noticing on the OSLIST around this
discussion. I was coming into this teachings space after having spent some
time playing and learning about applied improvisational theatre and one of
the basics there is "notice more, change less."

I think we are addicting to a perceived need for change, and that what is
required is somehow to cultivate a stillness in ourselves to be able to
deeply notice resources, and opportunities and connections and emergence
that is flowing by in the ever changing stream of the world.  So I'm playing
a lot with that practice these days.

Collective leadership is always present, and with space, invitation,
relationship and practice we can very quickly and simply evoke the energy
for it to emerge.  And the quickest way to that evocation is resting and
noticing that we already have those basic materials in hand, it is simply a
matter of inviting a collective noticing and then asking: what can we now do
together?

Chris (waiting in the Helsinki airport on my way back home).

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com