Military OS?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Aug 17 17:30:39 PDT 2009

For some this latest adventure of the US Army may appear surprising. After
all these are the "Kill, Kill Folks" - or something. The truth of the matter
is that the Army Green Wikipedia is right in the mainstream of the
tradition. Had it not been for the US Army the Wikipedia and other computer
based approaches would never have been - or surely would not have arrived
when they did. The early computers were funded through Army research funds,
and Internet first appeared as DARPANET - The army research arm. And before
Wikipedia software enables broad based collaborative efforts - there was a
wonderful thing called The Delta Force. This was not your sneaky special
services (also called Delta Force). This was a totally organic Army think
tank, largely computer based (DARPANET) which was charged with bringing the
best and wildest of thinking to bear on Army issues. You may recall the Army
recruiting phrase "Be All You Can Be!"  - Straight California New Age!  Came
out of The Delta Force via two totally remarkable people, Jim Channon, and
Frank Burns. Frank was the commander of the Delta Force. And there was a lot
of Open Space there - formally and informally. So the tradition continues.

Harrison

Ps - Yes I was a "member" of the Delta Force - but never US Army, I am sorry
to say.

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>

  _____