Why is a grid sometimes useful?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Aug 4 11:06:25 PDT 2009

I knew we would lure Michael Pannwitz into this conversation :-) Indeed it
is an old and rich conversation. And somewhere in there should be told
(retold) the tale of the 2108 German Psychiatrists. Michael alludes to it,
but the real fun (for me) happened when the group totally blew away our
(Michael's and mine) projections for number of issues. We had guessed 150
and felt that was probably large, and therefore safe. How wrong we were. If
I read Michael correctly, we finally ended up with 253 issues. Needless to
say our plans and expectations were stretched. But everything worked just
marvelously.

But the underlying issue for me here is not about orderly process and
methodology but rather the essential conditions for really juicy and
creative engagements - which in my experience are always messy. When you
actually know what you are doing, you can afford to put things in
pre-defined boxes. They won't always fit, and indeed usually don't - but it
at least seems like everything is in order. On the other hand, when you are
out on the edges of things - that predetermined order simply goes to hell.
And I think that is a very good thing! The trick is to fabricate a container
that is so flexible that it can deal with just about anything. I think we
have learned to do a pretty good job of that - but it is not about grids or
no grids. The real secret, as I think about it, is that the group becomes
its own container and we are the encouragers. Or something

Harrison

Harrison Owen

189 Beaucaire Ave

Camden, ME 04843

207-763-3261 (Summer)

301-365-2093 (Winter)

Website www.openspaceworld.com

Personal Website www.ho-image.com

OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options