Why is a grid sometimes useful?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Aug 4 05:14:58 PDT 2009

Actually the "grid" is a late arrival inflicted upon us by those with an
orderly mind. Personally I never use one (grid) which probably says an
enormous amount about my mental state. It is true that participants will
occasionally offer to straighten out the mess (put everything in time slots,
etc.) and I rarely object, knowing full well the lately imposed order will
shortly dissipate. But the real reason I do not use a grid is that I find
things work better with out it. Odd I know, but true. To be fair, I do
indicate separate days -- but beyond that it all goes on the wall. A
delightful mess!

Sometimes people will remark that with the mess it might be hard to find
what you are looking for. But if you watch people, that doesn't seem to be
the case. And the very act of searching, along with the conversations with
colleagues is a positive. In truth the space is open and the conversation is
begun as soon as the folks go to the wall. There is another positive, I
find. When everything is in a grid, participants search by time -- sort of
like filling out a dance card. On the other hand when the wall is a mess,
people search for meaning -- and then work out the time later. I think this
is really great, and also a marvelous lesson for life. Seems like a lot of
folks run their lives by the clock. I think they might find that things work
better when you organize around what is meaningful for you -- grabs your
passion.

True new comers may be a little mystified -- but that quickly settles when
they do the wonderful thing of "asking." Inevitably they will get an
"answer" and a conversation has begun. In the old days we used to call this
Inclusion, and even had special exercises to get it started.

Truthfully, I just love a mess. When everything is all in order, the
possibility of innovation, creativity, mind busting new thinking is minimal.
When things start to bubble -- it does get messy and wonderful. I think.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
189 Beaucaire Ave
Camden, ME 04843
207-763-3261 (Summer)
301-365-2093 (Winter)
Website www.openspaceworld.com
Personal Website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options